Thursday, October 10, 2013

LITERARY FICTION & EMPATHY

 How can reading fiction help you understand others?

     Fiction novels allow imagination, and creativity to run through the brain. I really found this article intriguing because I know that when I read some books I feel that I have a major connection to the characters as if I know them face to face. Reading fiction allows people to be more open minded about others and their reasonings for doing certain things, almost as if you can see inside their minds as you read it. Some people may be characterized as "fake" but maybe they are just trying to resemble a character they are currently reading about. I feel that reading fiction allows one to imagine themselves in different situations, and I dont find that at all a bad thing.

Use Hamlet as an example to explore your own thinking process and reactions to a character's innermost thoughts/struggles?

     Characters thoughts allow you to have direct insight to what the character is feeling, and you dont have to try and figure it out on your own. In Hamlets silioque you could imediately tell that Hamlet was upset and confused at his mothers actions and his fathers death. Personally I like to be told how the character is feeling, that way I am not confused later on if I imagined the wrong feeling. You get a totally better insight when told directly how that character is feeling, even if it is a little difficult to comprehend.

No comments:

Post a Comment