Thursday, January 30, 2014

Literature Analysis #1 Kite Runner (second semester)

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini:

1. This novel takes place in Kabul, Afghanistan from 1975-2001. The story is told from the point of view of Amir. Amir doesn't want to go to Afghanistan because of the events that happened in the past. After a death, Amir goes there, but then asks his half brother to come  back to San Francisco with him and his wife. They feel as if things between them has mended and they can start over. Things between the two are better and they fly a new kite with one another at the end.

2.  Guilt is a major theme in this novel. Amir feels guilt for the situation he was in when he is younger, which is why he has difficulties going back to Afghanistan, this is because he allowed Hassan to be raped many years before. Overcoming the guilt is also a huge factor of this novel.

3. The authors tone is realization from past situations, mournful
" I opened my mouth, almost said something. Almost. The rest of my life might have turned out differently if I had. But I didn't. I just watched. Paralyzed.” (page 73)
"But all I could manage was to whisper 'No. No. No' over and over again." (Page 219)
“I want to tear myself from this place, from this reality, rise up like a cloud and float away, melt into this humid summer night and dissolve somewhere far, over the hills. But I am here, my legs blocks of concrete, my lungs empty of air, my throat burning. There will be no floating away" (page )

4. Imagery: "The stench of something dank, like mildew, buldgened my nostrils that moment Karim opened the door that led down the creaky steps to the basement. (page 119)
Tone: " It was a smile, nothing more, it didn't make everything all right. It didn't make anything all right at all." (page371)
Symbolism: "We listen to what God says and we obey because we are nothing but humble, powerless creatures before Gods greatness" (page 270)
Characterization: "Come back home with me, they have doctors and with the technology today they can fix you up." (page 145)
Metaphor: "Hes like six million dollar man" (page 127)
Allusion:"The just like green that the green kite was spinning and wheeling out of control" (page 370)
Mood:" Whistles and applause broke out. The last time I had felt a rush like this I was in the winter of 1975.." (page 370)
Foreshadowing:" He led them toward us like he was the parent, like he had brought them here." (page 95)
Irony: " Which was ironic. Because that was the winter that Hassan stopped smiling." (page47)
Flashback:" I remebered the precises moment, crouching behind a crumbin." (page1)


Characterization:
1. The author uses both approaches of characterization because he wants the reader to get the physical appearance of the characters, but also wants the readers to get a deeper understanding of each character and their inner feelings and thoughts.

2. I think that like with many authors, he uses both when regarding to different characters. At times he will be very descriptive, but then be a little more settle when regarding to others.

3. yes, I felt as if I knew Amir and I felt the same emotions he did at times. I felt sorrow for him when he had to make decisions, and I also felt sadness when he was putting all the problems on himself. I get attached to many books in this way because I like to think of characters as my friends who I connect with on a really good level.

No comments:

Post a Comment