Monday, November 11, 2013

A POETIC INQUIRY

If we all lived in a "perfect" world would there be such a thing as true happiness, or would it just be considered the normal day-to-day feeling? Would life be boring if nothing went wrong, and there was no excitement? Does having rough patches in life truly help us become better and wiser individuals?

here is a sonnet that I feel relates to my big question, I think that it relates because it is about emptiness, and if we all lived in a perfect world we would all feel empty. I think that Wilson captures this image in his sonnet, which is why I chose it. Although he describes a world that sounds peaceful, and nothing could go wrong,   I think that if we lived in that world we would just be bored and not really have any emotions about anything.

Emptiness
by : Jim Wilson

I hear the wind chimes in the summer breeze,
a gentle wind triggers the melody,
a curious jay pausing on the chimes,
a mid-day thief so cautious he’s clumsy.

Calm and clear, I perceive appearances,
as the dance and display of my own mind.

The river flowing swiftly past my home,
where does it come from, whither does it go?

Child like, my mind provides an answer,
dust dancing in rays of summer sunlight.

A dog barks, the leaves rustle, clouds go by,
a shimmering wind in a field of dreams.

The cornucopia of emptiness
endlessly manifesting her mercy.

No comments:

Post a Comment